"In the care of the sick, great tenderness above all things." —Catherine McAuley,
Foundress of the Religious Sisters of Mercy
At St. Peter's, caring for the community dates back to the principles established by the foundress of the Religious Sisters of Mercy, Catherine McAuley.
In 1824, when she inherited a large fortune at the age of 50, Catherine McAuley used the money to build a large house in Dublin, Ireland. It became the first House of Mercy—and was the home where Catherine and several other women provided educational, religious and social services for women and children who were poor, homeless and in need.
Carrying on that mission, in 1869 four Sisters of Mercy founded St. Peter's Hospital in downtown Albany, NY, on November 1. They had journeyed to Albany from New York City in 1863 and arrived with 80 cents in total, but they began their mission in Rensselaer, NY.
The first hospital was financed thanks to a very generous donation of $15,000 from the family of Peter Cagger, an attorney who had died. The hospital is named for him.
Over the years, the scope of hospital services continued to grow. St. Peter's moved to its present site in 1930 and has grown its campus steadily to meet community needs.
In 2005, the hospital began comprehensive capital improvements to increase efficiency, convenience and privacy to provide a state-of-the-art campus for the 21st century.
Today St. Peter's health system serves to nearly 4,000 people every day with comprehensive medical services, free educational programs and a host of community health screenings throughout the region.