St. Peter's Hospital
Find-A-Physician: Call 518-525-2227 Maps & Directions Contact Us
Decrease (-) Restore Default Increase (+)  font size

Veterans and ALS

For veterans, who have been diagnosed with Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) and who have been determined eligible (eligibility for benefits is determined by the Veterans Benefits Administration), the Veterans Benefit Administration provides a monthly monetary compensation. After evidence showed, a growing number of veterans affected with ALS the Veterans Administration defined ALS as a service related condition in 2008 and provide benefits to help veterans receive the care they need.  Today an eligible veteran diagnosed with ALS is presumed to have a service related condition and is granted a service connected rating.  
The below links are to the Veterans Benefits Administration website and the information following can be found on the site.  

 Types of Compensation

VA disability compensation provides monthly benefits to Veterans in recognition of the effects of disabilities, diseases, or injuries incurred or aggravated during active military service. The program also provides monthly payments to surviving spouses, dependent children, and dependent parents in recognition of the economic loss caused by a Veteran's death during military service or, after discharge from military service, as a result of a service-connected disability. A summary of VA's disability compensation programs is below.

Disability Compensation

A tax-free monetary benefit paid to Veterans with disabilities that are the result of a disease or injury incurred or aggravated during active military service. The benefit amount is graduated according to the degree of the Veteran's disability on a scale from 10 percent to 100 percent (in increments of 10 percent). Compensation may also be paid for disabilities that are considered related or secondary to disabilities occurring in service and for disabilities presumed to be related to circumstances of military service, even though they may arise after service. Generally, the degrees of disability specified are also designed to compensate for considerable loss of working time from exacerbations or illnesses.

Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC)

DIC is a tax-free monetary benefit generally payable to a surviving spouse, child, or parent of Service members who died while on active duty, active duty for training, or inactive duty training, or to survivors of Veterans who died from their service-connected disabilities. Parents DIC is an income-based benefit for parents who were financially dependent on of a Service member or Veteran who died from a service-related cause.

Special Monthly Compensation (SMC)

SMC is an additional tax-free benefit that can be paid to Veterans, their spouses, surviving spouses and parents. For Veterans, Special Monthly Compensation is a higher rate of compensation paid due to special circumstances such as the need of aid and attendance by another person or by specific disability, such as loss of use of one hand or leg. For spouses and surviving spouses, this benefit is commonly referred to as aid and attendance and is paid based on the need of aid and attendance by another person.

Claims Based on Special Circumstances

Veterans may be eligible for other types of disability compensation once a disability has been determined to be service connected. Special VA disability compensation programs include: individual unemployability, automobile allowance, clothing allowance, prestabalization, hospitalization, convalescence, dental, and birth defects.

How to Apply

For assistance with VA benefits, or to apply for VA benefits, contact the staff at the St. Peter’s ALS Center at 518-525-1629 or your local VA facility (VA contact list).


St. Peter's Health Care Services makes no representations whatsoever about any other website which you may access through this one. When you access a non-St. Peter's Heath Partners website, please understand that it is independent from St. Peter's Heath Partners, and that St. Peter's Heath Partners has no control over the content on that website. In addition, a link to a non-St. Peter's Heath Partners website does not mean that St. Peter's Heath Partners endorses or accepts any responsibility for the content, or the use, of such website. (Read entire disclaimer.)

Home About Services A–C D–L M–R S–Z Patients & Community Careers Health Professionals


St. Peter’s Hospital  -  315 S. Manning Blvd.  -  Albany, NY 12208  -  518-525-1550

Nondiscrimination Notice     - Free Language Assistance     - Notice of Privacy Practices     - Disclaimer